Friday, September 28, 2007

Happenings in Wauwatosa

I was sort of over the whole blog thing but I find that recently I have so much I wish I could share with friends and family about our experiences out here in Wisconsin. So I think that I'll just share, and people can read or not read, and I hope it's not too terribly dull. I guess the thing is, this move doesn't only represent a (pretty extreme) change in location, at least not for me; perhaps more interesting are the little changes that have accompanied our new circumstances: being out of 'the nest' again (finally), cooking for ourselves, learning to live together, figuring out education and career stuff, making new friends, etc. And all of that on top of the fact that there are so many interesting and curious things about Milwaukee, and about the midwest in general, that I'm learning every day. AND the fact that Matt's in medical school, which (I'm coming to realize) is such an extreme circumstance in and of itself.

So, those are my excuses for starting this blog. To be honest, the real impetus was a run I took yesterday that led me to Hi Mount Road, or maybe two blocks of Hi Mount Road, on the edge of the Washington Highlands. The Highlands consist of about a square half mile of truly lovely (and large) homes, many of them designated historic sites; this neighborhood conveniently begins right across the street from us so I run through it fairly often and lust after the elegant English tudor and colonial revival-style houses and well-manicured yards. Here are a couple pictures of some of the houses--these aren't the best, actually, so I'll try and take some better ones soon.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Anyway, back to Hi Mount Road--I don't think it's technically part of the Highlands. It's a little farther east. The houses are similar in scale but a little older, I think, and they are set even further back off the road. The entire street is covered with a canopy of huge old trees, which is, I think, why I like it so much. Most roads in Wauwatosa are tree-lined in an almost movie-set sort of way, but this street in particular is almost forested. It's absolutely beautiful. I'll post a picture as soon as I get the chance to take one because I'm clearly lacking in my verbal explanation.

The reason I wanted to write about this street is that it kind of represents all the things I am coming to love about Wisconsin. I didn't expect it to be so beautiful here. We live in a suburb, but it is nothing like a California suburb--the houses are old, and they are all unique, and they were built in a way that leaves space for the trees (which, since it's starting to be fall, are truly spectacular). People are out in their yards all the time, and the yards don't tend to be fenced with 9 foot security fences like they are in the west. We have little kids running through our backyard daily, going from one neighbor's house to the other, and I love it (so does Vinny--he's made some fast friends). Maybe the real word for it all is 'charming.' And it's not surface-level charming, either. We've been here almost two months now and I keep finding new things I love about it.

I'll try not to go off the deep end about Wisconsin's wonders. Clearly, California remains possibly the best state ever invented and pretty much everyone I meet out here would rather be there than here. But it's heartening to move to a completely different place and immediately become aware of its virtues, rather than its shortcomings, and to realize that there are places outside of California that are worth living in, and that it's actually refreshing to escape the west coast for a while.

I have so many other things to talk about, namely: jobs, wine club, the countless joys of the slow cooker (I swear), and the approaching winter (ominous, at best). But I'll have to do that later. I'll leave you with a picture of our house, taken just today. It's no historical site, but I like it. (We're on the left.)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! Seems like you're having a good time. I think we're all waiting to hear about how the winter is though. :)

JOL said...

I think the blog is totally cool. It lets me know how life is going without coming across as the Grand Inquisitor! As a former midwesterner (and Wisconsinite), its gratifying to hear your positive comments. Just remember. you've got to learn to enjoy the snow and winter. JOL

Diolinda Monteiro said...

Hey Caitlin! Sounds dreamy! We are looking forward to visiting you. Much love and warm wishes!

Unknown said...

Your description and photos of your new 'hood are much appreciated to those folks, ahem me, who have never ventured out of the Sunshine State to live elsewhere. It sounds and looks lovely. Keep up with these blogs - you should be a travel guide writer. hee hee

kathrynkeith said...

Want to send you a slow cooker recipe-but am too old to figure out how to send a plain old email to you. Also sorry-have been spelling your name incorrectly all along in mail to you & Matt.

Illinois Kate

jka said...

Hi! Oy, I'm posting a reply to your most excellent blog, and you have no idea who I am egads!. I'm Jenifer, one of Matt's cousins, but I have not seen him since he was still wearing Oshkosh overalls (sorry to probably sound goofy or embarrassing Matt!). Hey isn't Oshkosh a Wisconsin something? - yes, a non-sequitur eek! Anyhoo, thank you Caitlin (if I may go ahead and write to you as if I know you - not off-putting I hope). I think it is way cool that you are writing this - not only does it let those of us that are interested in how/what you guys are doing keep up, it is most entertaining; your subtle wit rocks! I hope you guys continue to enjoy your new digs, and I wish Matt the best in his studies - go Matt! (I have great respect for you, and am thrilled to hear bits about the man you have become). I wish you both the best in all your new endeavors. I have a soft spot for the winter-type stuff after spending four fabulous years in New England too, thanks again for the pictures and for your informative and fun musings ("musings" not meant to trivialize at all). Oh, I'm a serious animal lover, so go Vinny and the new "crouching tiger" too :-) Oh good grief, this is getting a bit long eh? - I have a sometimes rather unfortunate propensity for talking often and much yikes! OK, well, I'll wrap it up with applause and thanks, and a cyber nice to meet you! jka