Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Proud to be from Wisconsin.

It's not just the cows, folks. Or even the beer. Democrats in this state are awesome, and I'm so happy to be one of them. At least for today--I was officially a California Green Party member until 3:45 pm when Matt and I finally found our polling place (the basement gym of an elementary school, with one scant cardboard sign that read "VoTing" which had clearly been written by an eight-year-old) and re-registered in our new home state, where we're allowed to vote for whichever presidential candidate we choose in either primary (which, incidentally, I think is a totally sensible way of doing things--I'm not really a Democrat or a Republican, I just wanted to vote for Obama). I actually felt GOOD casting my vote, and I am thrilled Obama is probably going to take this state, and I'm genuinely excited to see where this election is headed.

I also just think it's fantastic that there were twice as many democratic votes cast in this state as republican votes, and 1 in 7 voters were new voters. I don't want to get over-excited, but the young people here are so dedicated and involved right now, and it really seems like Obama is a huge part of that. I feel like my demographic matters, and I hope we can contribute to something momentous come November.

Don't get me wrong, I am as disillusioned as anyone about the state of US politics and I don't personally believe that any of these candidates will be able to singlehandedly right our country's wrongs in one or even two terms of office--no way. But lately I've begun to believe again that Americans have the ability to mobilize in a way that is forceful, optimistic, and impassioned--and not arbitrarily, but because we truly DESIRE change. I mean, come on. It was 5 degrees outside today, absolutely miserable, and the turnout was awesome.

I'm hopeful. Check back with me this summer, but for now, I will officially say: Wisconsin has given me hope.

2 comments:

CindyB said...

I'm proud that I am originally from the Midwest... especially the Chicago-land area. You can now understand my angst of living in Oklahoma and Texas. The most embarrassing thing about telling people you live in Texas is that they automatically assume you own guns and voted for Bush - twice! UGH!

jka said...

A blog gift you must have! Excellent! Seriously, great writing in all aspects of narratives, facts, opinions + wit. - totally agree with your thoughts on Obama - very well stated! :-) Stay cool. (not literally yikes, albeit snow, low temps, or flying ice water!) Hello and continued admiration and well wishes to Matt!

Sincerely,
This stranger Leach cousin who keeps posting here and hopefully not bugging you! :-) Jenifer